For most people, when they think about their roof needing replacement, they think first about an asphalt shingle roof. These types of roof installations have been the first choice of homeowners for many many years. Many homeowners may not be aware of the technological advances that have been made in metal roofing materials and installations. While asphalt shingle roofs have been the most popular choice for homeowners, many may find benefit in considering one of the many metal roof options available.
Asphalt shingles may be available at a lower cost, come in a variety of colors and textures, and provide a traditional aesthetic. However, metal roofs also provide their own benefits as well. Metal roofs are known for their longevity, better resistance to environmental wear, minimal maintenance requirements, and provide greater energy efficiency. You may think of a metal roof as something that looks like an old fashioned “tin” roof, but you couldn’t be further from the truth.
The Basics of Metal Roofs
Here are the basics:
- Metal roofs are extremely durable and resistant to severe weather damage.
- They are also resistant to fire, insect infestations, rot, and mildew.
- Metal roofs can reflect solar radiant heat and that can help you reduce your cooling costs up to 25%.At the end of their life, metal roofs are 100% recyclable unlike shingle roofs.
- While traditional roofs (asphalt shingles) typically last 10-20 years, metals roofs have a life expectancy of 40-70 years.
- Metal roofs are generally more expensive than asphalt shingles, their benefits provide a competitive advantage in comparison. HomeAdvisor has a great breakdown that you can find here.
- You’ll be able to enjoy that traditional tin roof rain sound that many love.
- If you would prefer a softer sound experience, there are additional materials that we can install to dampen that sound.
Ready to decide?
If you are wondering whether or not it’s time to think about having your roof repaired or replaced, we have some suggestions for you here.
There are many, many, styling and material options available with metal roofs. We can help you understand the options and pick out something that will look great and last. Give us a call or contact us using the form below, and we will reach out to you ASAP and schedule a free inspection and estimate.